Saturday, May 26, 2007

"Radical Hope: Ethics in a Time of Cultural Devestation": Jonathan Lear



"Plenty Coups refused to speak of his life after the passing of the buffalo, so that his story seems broken off, leaving many years unaccounted for. "I have not told you half of what happened while I was young" he said when urged to go on. "I can think back and tell you much more of war and horse stealing. But when the buffalo went away the hearts of my people fell to the ground and they could not lift them up again. After this nothing happened. There was little singing anywhere. Besides," he added sorrowfully, " you know that part of my life as well as I do. You saw what happened to us after the buffalo went away. "

- from 'Radical Hope.' here Lear quotes Plenty Coups as recounted in "Plenty Coups: Chief of the Crows" by Frank B. Linderman, University of Nebraska Press 1962

No comments: